Mid-Service Conference

This past week, my cohort and I attended our long-awaited mid-service conference (MSC). This conference originally scheduled for August was delayed because Peace Corps decided to combine parts of our conference with Health 7s In-Service Training.  Health 7s focus is on maternal and child health, specifically the first 1000 days of life, and they wanted us to be a part of those sessions so we could incorporate this new focus into the rest of our service. I would like to say that I gained a lot of knowledge from this conference, but to be honest, the benefits mainly included a nice hotel, a hot shower, a TV (I watched at least 3 hours of E! everyday, no shame) endless amounts of food and tea, and quality bonding time with my fellow volunteers.

I’m generally positive about my experience in Peace Corps, however as I’m learning in this experience, you can’t please everyone and not everything will be perfect. Our cohort has felt somewhat overlooked in the past few months, especially since there are now just 6 of us. Maybe I’m being dramatic, I know the groups before us may have felt the same way  as they got further into their service, so it’s not necessarily a new thing in PC Rwanda but it’s definitely how I had been feeling these past few months. For example, we had certain PC staff straight up forget to come to our sessions or push back our sessions because of a lack of organization and communication. I really hate to complain about Peace Corps- after all I'm loving my time here- but instances like these can be frustrating at times. On the bright side, after expressing our concerns, talking about our goals for the next 9 months (see you in America next July/August!!!) and our plans post PC (graduate school I hope) I left the conference feeling revitalized and motivated for the future. Okay maybe I exaggerated a little… MSC wasn’t completely useless, I did gain SOME knowledge. 

Apart from MSC, I’ve been busy at site with my projects, but as usual there’s been some ups and downs. My WASH project just passed the half way point in lessons!!! Aside from the tedious data entry of over 1,000 surveys (send help) my counterparts and I are planning to install hand washing stations with the clubs and hold the graduation ceremony in the villages for January! My Community Finance Initiative group completed their first phase of the program and will be starting the third phase next month, after my facilitator attends the training this week. My library project has been at a stand still for the past few months because of unexpected fees (Well, I may or may not have read the fine print) to custom clear the books in Kenya to continue to Rwanda. Fortunately the radio company that owns the community center/library has agreed to take care of the additional charges that the fundraiser didn’t account for, so the books should hopefully be here by next month! I’ve finally been able to get the ball rolling on the student library program, that the headmaster at the school and I are working to create a book club/ volunteer program with the BE/GLOW club students at the library starting next school year! These 1000+ books that are in transit will complete the book part of the project so we will have a fully stocked English section to accompany the Kinyarwanda books.  I’m also excited to hopefully bring the PREPEX male circumcision program to my health center in the next few months.  Melissa (fellow PCV/ apparently my twin according to PC staff) started the Peace Corps-PREPEX collaboration, and now PCVs are exploring options to incorporate this non-surgical method of male circumcision into their health centers or district hospitals. Because my health center is one of the main hubs for circumcisions and all surgeries in Gisagara District, the head of my health center is hoping to expand by incorporating this program here!  


I’m looking forward to spending this week at site before yet another unexpected trip, South Africa!!! It turns out that I haven’t been the best at taking care of my teeth while in country (whoops) and I need to get a root canal. PC Rwanda sends its volunteers to South Africa for the procedure, so hello country #12! I’ll be there for about a week, so aside from this dental work I'll be able to meet up with a family friend to show me around Pretoria!

In the meantime, I’ll be relaxing at site enjoying this broccoli and cheese that I splurged on in Kigali...

Here are some photos from the past month:

Wash lesson in Cyendajuru Village

Beautiful wedding! Congrats to Immaculee (the most wonderful language teacher) and Jean Paul!

Melissa and I rockin our Senegal igitenge dresses at the wedding

The best part about work- cute babies!

 Chillin at the boutique with my mini me, Sabrine

Health 6, mid service TURN UP!

My parents sent me this adorable photo of them on their way to NYC to see Lupitas' play, Eclipsed! Miss you two <3




Until Next Time,
Vanessa







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Americanah in Rwanda

The Dirty South: Rwanda Edition!

Senioritis