"The study shows that black people are more likely to get [INSERT DISEASE HERE]"

Note: I wrote this post months ago, while still in school. I've finally decided to post it.

I think I have read only one research publication (in the context of the U.S.A) where the black and/or African-American group in the publication had a positive or better health outcome than the comparison groups (usually non-hispanic whites). Considering the amount of public health research that has been conducted, and the fact that I have not read every publication in the world, I obviously have a gap in knowledge, but when you think of the general information and health care trends- it's just very...well..depressing.

As health outcomes are directly influenced by systems, wealth, privilege, and resources, the trends aren't surprising, but just discouraging. Despite the gains there is still a huge disparity.

I am seeking out all and any research that has my people on top- a positive trajectory for black/african americans or any such improvements in all areas of health.  Feel free to comment or tweet me (@VanessaCDaCosta) with such publications, articles, thoughts, opinions, etc!

Every single class I have taken at Rollins has either used an example or multiple examples of research that includes how the Black/African-American group had worse outcomes, even when controlling for many other factors.

As one of five black students in the 120+ cohort of second years in the epidemiology department, I am often listening to my white professor in a room of mostly non-black/african american students discussing how blacks/African Americans were more likely to have x than whites, even when controlling for age, income, blah, blah, blah. I am not surprised every time this comes up, nor am I offended, I'm just...

It's the reality. However on the bright side, there is A LOT of progress being done to address these issues. Checkout this black health related orgs for some of the many working to address these disparities:

blkhlth
blkmamasmatter
blackaids
blackwomenshealth
blackmentalhealth

This also leads into my next post, which I will discuss my thoughts on the debate of  U.S. citizens/ people who consider the U.S. their home country doing global health work (or any type of work) outside of the U.S., despite the need in the U.S. as well. Disclaimer: My  (very obvious) opinion is that no one who choses to work outside of their home country should feel guilty for doing so, as long it's for the right reasons. It's also important to note that colonialism, cheap labor, devaluing of host country nationals are all still ongoing issues that people working internationally still engage-- also will be included in this next post.

Until next time,
Vanessa 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Americanah in Rwanda

The Dirty South: Rwanda Edition!

Week 1 at site!