A positive perspective: Rwanda since the Genocide

Monday April 7th, 2014 marked the 20th anniversary of the genocide in Rwanda that took place across 100 days in 1994, taking around 800,000 lives.

 I wanted to take the time to write about the genocide in Rwanda not from an informational perspective of what happened, but from a positive perspective that I hope can serve to restore your faith in humanity. I especially wanted to write this because whenever I first tell people that I will be moving to Rwanda for Peace Corps service, the  response often goes something like - 'Is Rwanda safe? What about the genocide?'

Many people (like myself) are surprised to hear that Rwanda is currently one of the safest countries in Africa when looking at crime, killings, and general safety.  I was informed by both my Dad and my uncle-two people that both know a good amount about the continent- to inform me that Rwanda is currently one of the safest countries in Africa. I of course did some research of my own  to find that in 2012 the Global States of Mind Metrics for World Leaders Report Gallup Poll  listed Rwanda as the safest country in Africa based on a public survey. This poll  provides  reliable evidence that Rwanda is not to be defined as an unsafe dangerous place that it was during the genocide of 1994, and is in fact one of the safest countries in Africa, and possibly even in the world.

One of the most touching aspects of post-genocide Rwanda are the stories on reconciliation between the perpetrators during the genocide and the victims family members or friends.  There is a community of  perpetrators reconciling with family members of those they killed in the past. The idea that one could forgive and eventually form a truly genuine  and positive relationship with a person that they know killed their mother, sister, brother, wife, or husband is deeply touching; taking the route towards forgiveness and reconciliation instead of anger, hate, or revenge.

This New York Times article 'Portraits of Reconciliation'  found here provides personal stories of reconciliation that have occurred since the genocide.

 As with specific cities or states in the U.S as well as with other countries around the world, every place is plagued by generalizations and assumptions of its current circumstances based on its history. What happened in Rwanda 20 years ago should never be forgotten and should be observed to remember the lives that were lost, and also to acknowledge  how far Rwanda has come as a country across many disciplines and in their own sense of national identity. Furthermore, Rwanda's continuing development and success shouldn't be overlooked or unacknowledged because of the genocide.

My knowledge of Rwanda only extends to what I learned in class and read elsewhere, but I hope that what little insight I could provide succeeded in restoring your faith in humanity, even if it was just by a little bit!

Until next time,
Vanessa


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Americanah in Rwanda

The Dirty South: Rwanda Edition!

Week 1 at site!