The Homestretch




Yikes! It's been four months since I've blogged...my excuse is that I've been busy...watching Gilmore Girls, hanging out, finding creative ways to cook cabbage (I've given up), and napping.

Close of Service Conference
Last week my cohort attended our final Peace Corps Conference- Close of Service (COS). It is crazy that we have less than 4 months left of service! It was a week full of mixed emotions- excitement that I have almost accomplished finishing my service, sadness reflecting on the events of last April, and also disbelief in realizing that I will soon leave a community and country that I have grown to love so much. This conference was all about the logistical, emotional, and practical steps of closing out service, saying goodbye, readjusting to life in the states, and eating as much delicious food and enjoying as many hot showers as physically possible…
Health 6 with Staff at COS Conference, April 2016



Wrapping up Projects
Just before COS, I completed my WASH and Community Finance Initiative projects! Although these projects are technically finished, I truly hope that the practices implemented in those programs continue and become sustainable in the community. I am confident that my counterparts will continue to work with the groups that were trained through these programs to improve and maintain the behaviors and practices that were learned from those programs!

WASH Graduation Ceremony pre rainstorm, March 2016

After 9 months, a lot of emails, and a ton of FB posts later, the library project is finally wrapping up with the arrival of the books from the U.S. Book drive. Thanks again to everyone who donated books or money to the program!!! The librarian Goudoula has been doing an excellent job of organizing all of the books and resources we have received for this project. She will hopefully (knock on wood) be starting University in a few months and I will be very sad to see her go!


In my final months I will be working primarily with the secondary schools. At the library we will be working with the secondary schools to start a library program to encourage students to participate in book clubs and writing contests. My school counterpart and good friend Diane and I will be implementing Let Girls Work, a program created by the Gender and Development Committee to give A-level girls the opportunity to participate in lesson-based career development, a mentorship program, and workshops. There are about 20 volunteers implementing this program which is partly funded by Michelle Obama’s Let Girls Learn program, but we are hoping to raise additional funds, so if you have a few dollars to spare, you can donate to the Peace Corps Rwanda Let Girls Learn Project.

Diane and I! February 2016

What’s next?
I will be leaving Rwanda at the end of July, and will hopefully spend a week in Zambia with my family there before heading back to the states. I’ll be doing a mini -east coast road trip (PA>NYC>D.C.>NC) to visit my parents, sisters and friends before I start my next adventure- going to graduate school to get my MPH in Global Health! I haven't made an official decision yet, but I've narrowed it down to either Emory University or The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Part of me is nostalgic that I won’t be returning back to my beloved Chapel Hill, but unfortunately UNC didn’t come through on the financial end. Either way I'm super excited for a new experience, and since I'm used to moving every 3-5 years anyway, it only makes sense that I'll end up in a new place, so Atlanta or London I’m coming for ya!


Until next time,
Vanessa








Comments

  1. Vanessa , I am enjoying reading your blog. My daughter,Emily will be your replacement. Martha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Black Americanah in Rwanda

The Dirty South: Rwanda Edition!

Week 1 at site!