"Always do what you are afraid to do" -Ralph Waldo Emerson


 I felt like revisiting this, it brings back a lot of emotions,  especially because the Peace Corps finally told me that I am pre-medically cleared and in the process of being placed to leave next year.....

For me, the most difficult question to answer is ‘where are you from?’ Is it Wales, where I was born, The Gambia and Zambia, where my parents grew up, or is it the Philadelphia suburbs, where my family now resides?  Instead of settling with one explanation, I often combine all locations to form an answer. I am British-born, American-bred, and African-influenced.
 I have lived in America since I was four years old and as a result, have little to no difficulty identifying myself as an American. It was not until the end of my high school years that I felt as though I was truly immersed in both my British and African backgrounds. My experiences visiting family members in England and Africa and listening to my parents’ stories about their upbringings in Gambia and Zambia sparked my interest in traveling abroad to learn about cultures outside of America--particularly my own.
While I became interested in life outside of my surroundings, I developed an interest in working with children, especially through health initiatives. In high school I began volunteering in the Endoscopy Unit of the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. When I matriculated to UNC Chapel Hill I continued my involvement in children’s health through volunteering at the UNC Children’s Hospital. Every week I spend time with the child inpatients, engaging them in activities or spending time comforting them in the wake of their illness. I have built relationships with many children over the years, and have come to realize that although I am unable to physically make their illnesses go away, I can provide emotional and social support that could contribute positively to their lives; it’s remarkable that they can provide me with this same sense of comfort and support.
I aspire to work in an environment in which I can interact with others and assist them in ways that will foster improvements in their lives. When I learned about the work of the Peace Corps I knew it was an opportunity to get involved with initiatives that align with my interests and are geared towards helping me achieve my future goals. I look forward to pursuing a Masters degree in Public Health, focusing on Global Health. The Peace Corps will allow me to experience firsthand the issues I will encounter in the field--while utilizing my coursework in Psychology and Global Health and my job experience at health organizations—to help me prepare for a career in global health program development and research.
Due to my troubles expressing my identity while I was growing up, the core expectation of representing the people, cultures, values, and traditions of America would be especially challenging because I define myself as more than just American. However, my ability to identify with those of diverse origins and those from other countries will allow me to integrate myself into a new community seamlessly. The question will no longer be, ‘where are you from?’ but rather, ‘how far are you willing to go?

My peace corps application essay. submitted in September 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Americanah in Rwanda

The Dirty South: Rwanda Edition!

Week 1 at site!