It's official! Peace Corps Rwanda- June 2014!

After over a year of waiting filled with both excitement and frustration among many other feelings, I finally found out in October that I got invited to be a Peace Corps Community Health Volunteer in Rwanda, departing in June!  I'll be abroad from  June 2014 to August 2016. Now that I am less than 5 months away from my departure date I am getting more excited (and nervous) about leaving. So many medical and logistical things to get done in the next few months, but luckily current and returned volunteers have been very helpful in advising those of us departing in the next few months.

When I received my placement call in October I was given the choice between Uganda and Rwanda. I have an Aunt and Uncle that live in Kenya and have worked in both of those countries, so from their advice and my parents' insight I decided that Rwanda was the best fit for me, especially for my specific job interests. I'll be working at a health center (location TBD during training in the first 3 months). I'll mostly be working on maternal and child health, HIV/AIDS, and Malaria projects among other public health needs in my community. I'll be providing basic healthcare and health education.

I know that it isn't going to be easy moving out there and it will be obviously be a culture shock and very different from what I am used to, but I am ready to experience challenges and a new way of life. It's very important for me to go outside of my comfort zone and explore my interests in a different light! I'm also excited about learning a new language (Kinyarwanda) during training.

I'll be finishing up my job at Duke in mid may, then heading back north for a few weeks to spend time with my family before leaving for Rwanda. I hope to come back to the states at least once or twice during my service but I definitely plan to use the majority of my vacation time to travel to other parts of Rwanda and surrounding countries. So far my list includes: Uganda, Kenya, Zambia, South Africa, Madagascar, Tanzania, and Ethiopia!


Until next time,

Vanessa


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Americanah in Rwanda

The Dirty South: Rwanda Edition!

Week 1 at site!