Decoding the question 'Where are you from?'





Where are you from?




I've previously written about my difficulty answering this question (Always Do What You're Afraid To Do &  Black Americanah in Rwanda), which has personally helped me better able to 'answer' this question and be comfortable with how I describe my identity not only for myself, but to others. I've learned that this is probably a subject I will continue to reflect on throughout my life. This is a subject that is constantly on my mind. I (and probably everyone) constantly find myself  in conversations, meetings, interviews, and any social interactions where I'm asked this question. 

Depending on how one interprets this question, one could answer with:  
-Where you were born
-Where you spent the majority of your childhood
-Where your family roots are
-Where you consider home that goes beyond places that result from birth or time in a place, and instead is focused on the emotional connection

For me, none of the responses to those above questions overlap. I was born in Britain and spent the first 4 years of my life there, however I spent the majority of my childhood in Virginia (5 years) although I spent 4 years in Pennsylvania, and the remaining 4 years between Nevada and North Carolina. My parents are from Zambia (Mom) and  The Gambia/Ghana (Dad) and thus my African heritage is a huge part of my identity. 

When I was in elementary and middle school I always said I was from Britain, and by the time I was in high school I would say I am 'originally' from Britain but I consider Virginia to be home. It was also around this time that I started becoming more comfortable including my African roots in this explanation, which I often left out unless I was asked as a result of mine or my parents 'different accents'. During undergrad, I continued to share my British background, but started referring to Pennsylvania as the place I'm from, even though it has never truly felt like home to me. 

It was during my time in Rwanda that I really began to struggle answering this question and when I really began to question my identity. As a PCV I introduced myself as an American, and oftentimes people didn't believe me, or asked for further confirmation of my specific African heritage. Being constantly questioned about my 'original' roots made me hyper aware of my identity, and led me to really think introspectively about where I consider myself to be from. In that context it was no longer a 'state' specific answer that was expected if you're an American whose been in America for awhile answering that question in America, but it was more of a country specific question. I often had to explain the physical path by which my family and I immigrated to America. 

Being questioned about my identity, although surprising and unsettling at first, has been truly eye opening for me personally. It has driven me to immerse myself in my Zambian, Gambian, and Ghanaian heritage more so as an adult and be more appreciative of my heritage in those places, as well as my birthplace. It has also made me regret not learning my mom's native language Bemba, but has given me the desire to achieve this goal in the future. But maybe this question should really just be answered simply. Maybe I just need to say I'm from Britain. Maybe I just need to say I'm from Pennsylvania. Maybe I just need to say I'm from those 3 African countries.

However for me, this isn't just a simple question. It's an intricate one, that opens up an evolving story that is hard to condense into a specific city, state, or even country. It's a question of not just a physical location, but one of personal identity and roots. So for now I'll continue to decode what this question means for me, and see it as a continuum of self exploration and not as overthinking a simple question.

So, where are you from, you ask?

"Well...  *takes deep breathe*... "

And the story continues....


Until next time,
Vanessa





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Americanah in Rwanda

The Dirty South: Rwanda Edition!

Week 1 at site!